FASHION WRITING PROGRAM
The Fashion Journalism Program is designed to ignite imagination, creativity and original thinking within art and design.
It offers critical mentorship and opportunity for real-world industry experience and to support and promote emerging talent within writing and journalism.
The program provides a highly credentialed platform for emerging writers to test and publish their work, covering a wide range of content angles across Brussels Fashion Festival’s diverse program in 2022.
Applications for the Fashion Journalism Program are now closed. Please contact us at email@example.com if you have any queries.
Program Overview & Key Information
Emerging fashion and lifestyle writers are welcome to apply via submission of a short portfolio of work, which will be assessed by a panel of highly credentialed industry professionals.
Three selected finalists will receive one-on-one mentoring with a dedicated program mentor, who will review and provide ongoing feedback of written work and offer guidance for pitching ideas. This is a 4 week mentorship program and it will begin in the month leading up Brussels Fashion Festival to ensure Finalists are equipped to attend BFF reporting as an official Brussels Fashion Festival Journalist.
19 November 2021
Brussels Fashion Festival Writing Program applications open
13 December 2021
Fashion Writing Program applications close at 11.59pm
14 – 20 December 2021
Application Judging Period
27 December 2021
Applicants notified of application outcome
14 January – 1 February 2022
One-on-one mentorship program with assigned program judge
24 – 27 February 2022
Attending Brussels Fashion Festival as an official BFF Journalist
If you have any questions related to the Fashion Writing Program application process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The 2022 event is dedicated for those attending the first ever Brussels Fashion Festival. As the first audience, we want to hear from you in a review piece, reflecting on the creative projects presented to you.
Think ‘fashion editor’ reporting back on trends, new designers, helpful advice and learnings for the target market – your generation.
Presented in a magazine style, your feature will give your voice and opinion a platform with a focus on personal highlights outlining what you have learned recreating the event in your style for the reader
Your education experience will include:
- Raw catwalk and skill of fashion
- Fashion Technology talks
- Live fashion illustration lounge
- Upcycled imagination room
All applications must include:
- A 250–500-word biography of the applicant. Applicant must include reference to any fashion, lifestyle or writing related tertiary courses undertaken, and / or work already published.
- A portfolio of work, comprising:
- A cover sheet explaining your personal approach to writing, the style/s or genre/s you prefer or specialise in, your personal connection to fashion as a theme for your writing, as well as your ambition or vision for your future in the writing profession.
- A minimum of 3 and maximum of 6 samples of work (either published or unpublished).
- An essay of a minimum 500 words written in magazine style with a strong title
At least one sample of work should be a minimum of 500 words long.
Think ‘fashion editor’ reporting back on trends, new designers, helpful advice and learnings for the target market – your generation..
Applications will be assessed on the quality and extent to which they meet the following selection criteria:
Only one application per individual
The applicant demonstrates a unique point of view and comprehensive understanding of the fashion industry.
- The applicant has a strong and distinctive writing style that achieves a high standard of writing (which can be demonstrated in singular or a range of writing styles).
- The applicant demonstrates the potential to succeed in a professional fashion writing career.
Brussels Fashion Festival will acquire all rights to any copy entered into this competition, for current and future promotional use of the competition, and the rights to use the winning article in future promotion of the competition and event.
Winners will be expected to participate in publicity – as detailed above.
The judges’ decision is final – no correspondence will be entered into.
Judges will be appointed by FAB Style Collective