Brussels Fashion Festival
Young Artist of the Year Award
Welcome to the Brussels Fashion Festival Creative Awards in association with FAB Style Collective. Designed to ignite imagination, creativity and original thinking within art and design.
The BFF Artist Award 2022 will be working in partnership with FAB Style Collective to produce a contemporary piece of textile art, to be displayed this Spring, as part of the Brussels Fashion Festival programme coinciding with World Mental Health day.
Suitable for summer holiday projects or coursework portfolios, the award is open to all in full time education. Deadlines for submissions will be
26th July 2022.
We want to hear from the next generation on their personal response to BFF’s SS23 exhibitions, running until the end of October 2022. We would like to take a textile snapshot of our current times and are calling for diverse, creative contributions, of a single craft patchwork inspired by a collective of artists using the theme LOVE.
BFF Artists are asked to visit the different gallery floors in Belgium, exploring:
- Portraying a Nation: Germany 1919-1933
Contemporary artist Aleksandra Mir’s Space Tapestry.
- Tracey Emin and William Blake In Focus
Select an additional artist, already personal to you adding to the bank of references to inspire your patchwork design.
Finalists designs will be selected by a panel of judges and will form a final contemporary piece, uniting individuals artwork and displayed for public view at Brussels Fashion Week.
Tate Liverpool : Portraying A Nation: Germany 1919-1933
Start your creative journey at Tate Liverpool, exploring the summer artist exhibitions from the following artists work.
Entrants should reference from a range of artists exhibited at Tate Liverpool including an additional personal choice.
- ortraying a Nation: Germany 1919-1933.
- Aleksandra Mir’s, Space Tapestry
- Tracey Emin’s, My Bed (part of the Tate Collection display).
- BSC Artist’s choice
Visit Tate Liverpool – all special exhibitions and the Tate Collection are free to you. Explore the artwork in the galleries. Choose artworks that you have a connection with. Consider the messages the artists are trying to convey through their work. Avoid copying or designing a like for like. Instead, explore the ideas and themes within the artwork that have inspired you. Use influences from your own life and emotional journey, to show us your true artistry.
Albert Dock The Waterfront L3 4BB
The final collaborative textile art will be a collection of ideas and voices in a united creative, to celebrate the city’s ‘50 Summers of Love’ season. Inspired by the golden anniversary of the summer of 1967 and subsequent summers, which were landmarks in modern culture and showcase the incredible creativity and emotion which can be found in the city.
Along with your personal artistry, we would like each patchwork to embody unity and togetherness through the representation of the colour red. Dominant or hidden, we ask all artists to use a shade of red, at least once.
‘Be bold and use influences from your own experience of contemporary life in 2022 ’
- Artists are free to explore all realms of textiles looking at patterns, fabrics, textures and technical skill.
- Patchwork template is A5 Portrait
- 200 words or so, sharing your creative journey sharing the thinking behind the design along with the artists that inspired you.
Tate Liverpool have offered all BFF holders free entry to Portraying a nation with all other artist exhibitions free of charge.
Once completed, send to BFF Submissions Team, Young Artist Award, Brussels Fashion Festival, FAB Style Collective ASBL.
Closing date for entries is July 26 2022. Please note we are unable to return entries.
- Young Artist Goodie bag
- Be part of the installation team at Brussels Fashin Festival
- Complimentary tickets to Brussels Fashion Week 2022
- This competition is open to all in full time education
- Only one application per individual
- By completing the application, applicants agree to be bound by the rules and by any other requirements set out in the promotional material
- Entries are posted at the entrant’s own risk
- FAB Style Collective will acquire all rights to any copy entered into this competition, for current and future promotional use of the competition, and the rights to use the winning article in future promotion of the competition and event
- Apologies, but no articles can be returned to the entrant
Proof of posting is not proof of delivery
- Last date for receipt of entries 26 July 2022
- The judges’ decision is final – no correspondence will be entered into
- Judges will be appointed by FAB Style Collective